Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Buttermilk Coconut Syrup {Sugar Free}

Sugar free has been such a great adventure this year. I have loved discovering amazing recipes that are sugar free. This is one of those recipes that you have to make to believe. This syrup is like tasting a piece of heaven. I adore it. I dream about it. It is happily ever after. And it's sugar free. Really, it's too good to be true.

In all honesty, I could eat this syrup plain, but it's probably best (and maybe a little healthier) if it's served over a whole grain waffle like this one or this one or this one or some buttermilk pancakes (in a recipe still to come...) or french toast made from whole wheat bread (pictured below). So pick your favorite and get making it. Hey, why not breakfast for dinner tonight? Your family will love you for it.



Buttermilk Coconut Syrup {Sugar Free}

INGREDIENTS
1/2 Cup Butter or Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Xagave or raw honey*
1/4 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 Tbsp. Ultra-gel or 1 tsp. Cornstarch
1/2 tsp. Coconut extract (or other flavoring, but Coconut is my fav; imitation works fine)
1/2 tsp. Baking soda

DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter or coconut oil, Xagave or honey, buttermilk and ultra-gel or cornstarch. Make sure you whisk well while the mixture is still cool to ensure that the ultra-gel or cornstarch doesn't clump. Heat and stir continuously until butter or coconut oil is melted and mixture starts to bubble. Then remove pan from the heat and stir in 1/2 tsp. coconut extract and 1/2 tsp. baking soda. Mixture will bubble ferociously and leave you with a frothy, delicious syrup. 

Best served immediately over pancakes, waffles or french toast. You can also refrigerate leftover and reheat as needed. Leftover syrup will not be quite as frothy, but still delicious.

Recipe Source: Adapted to be sugar free from a recipe shared by Pam, a friend


Just in case you're thrown off by the "coconut". Let me just say that I'm not really a coconut person. I don't really like the texture. But I adore this syrup. It really doesn't even taste like what you would imagine coconut syrup to taste like. It's just deliciousness at it's finest.

And in case you're wondering, this IS the recipe that I alluded to it in a post just a few weeks ago in my post about culturing your own buttermilk. And yes, you do need to use real buttermilk for this, please don't sub that ingredient. One substitution you can make if you're looking to go healthier is using coconut oil instead of butter. I made it last time with coconut oil and raw honey and really couldn't tell much of a difference. If you made some with butter and without and put them side by side, I'd probably say I preferred the one with butter (it's got that yummy buttery flavor), but coconut oil works great and does have some great health benefits.

Can I just beg you to try this recipe? It's one of my favorites and you'll be glad that you did. If you do, I'd love to hear your feedback or any questions or comments. Thanks in advance for sharing; feedback from you is one of the big reasons why I love blogging. Happy cookin'!

This week I'll be linking to some of these link parties.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How wonderful!!! Thanks for linking up at Tasty Tuesday's!!! I am one of the co-hosts this month!

AG said...

Oh, what an interesting idea! :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers! Please be sure to stop back by the party and check out some of the other links!

Unknown said...

Awesome recipe! Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesday's! I Am one of the co-hosts this month! Organized SAHM

Unknown said...

This is a great recipe! Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! I am one of your hosts! I am pinning and following! Thanks! Tara~ http://www.organizedsahm.com

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

What a lovely sugar free syrup. It looks absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

DWiseOne said...

This was sooooo DELICIOUS! Thank you for coming up with a syrup that doesn't need butter or sugar. I used maple flavoring, because I didn't have any coconut extract, and it was so good. I'm definitely following your posts because I'm trying to provide more nutritious meals for my family. Thank you again!

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails